A General view of the stadium ahead of the match Tottenham Hotspur Women v West Ham United Women, WSL football match, The Hive Stadium, London, UK - 06 Sep 2020 Photo: Chloe Knott for The FA

Manchester City beat Spurs to keep pressure on league leaders Chelsea

Manchester City overcame the disappointment of being knocked out of the UEFA Women’s Champions League in midweek by recording a dominant 3-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at The Hive this afternoon.

Spurs head coach Rehanne Skinner made three changes from the side that lost the North London derby last weekend with Rachel Williams, Cho So-hyun and Lucy Quinn coming into the starting XI. City boss Gareth Taylor made two changes from the side that beat Barcelona in midweek with Georgia Stanway and Caroline Weir coming in. He was then forced into a third change as Alex Greenwood pulled up in the warm up and was replaced by Aoife Mannion.

For the second week in a row, Spurs started slowly and this time they were punished almost immediately as a City corner was bundled into the net after three minutes by the unfortunate Becky Spencer. As the half progressed, Spurs were constantly just off the pace. When they were able to win the ball, City quickly won it back before the hosts’ attack reached the final third. For all of their dominance though, City had very few chances on goal and it wasn’t until the 38th minute that they were able to double their lead. Sam Mewis picked out Janine Beckie with a long ball and while the Spurs back four called for offside, the City player fired home to make it 2-0.

Skinner’s side were forced into a substitution after half time with Siri Worm having picked up a knock following the second City goal and she was replaced by Kerys Harrop. Spurs started the second half more brightly and pushed higher but again they wanted too much time on the ball and weren’t able to get any shots off.

On the hour, City made it 3-0 with Weir slotting home from close range. Spurs continued to press and there was no lack of energy in the final quarter of the match, especially from youngster Esther Morgan who even ran half the length of the pitch with one boot in stoppage time.

Speaking after the game, Skinner was disappointed with the slow start and the tentative way that Spurs played in the first half. With another two games against top four sides in Spurs’ remaining three league games, it will be a nervy end to the season. Skinner’s side return to action after the international break when they face Reading in the Vitality Women’s FA Cup.

Gareth Taylor praised the effort of opponents Spurs after the match but was ultimately happy to see his side continue their run of winning form in the league despite their defensive injuries. Manchester City host Aston Villa in the Vitality Women’s FA Cup in their next fixture following the international break.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial