FC Bayern Campus before the UEFA Women's Champions League match between FC Bayern Munich and Chelsea FC at FC Bayern Campus, Germany -Sven Beyrich/Sports Press Photo

Chelsea undone by Bayern Munich in first leg of Champions League semi-final tie

Bayern Munich took control of their UEFA Women’s Champions League semi-final first leg tie against Chelsea as they recorded a 2-1 win at the FC Bayern Campus this afternoon.

The hosts took the lead through Sydney Lohmann after 12 minutes following a mistake from Chelsea keeper Ann-Katrin Berger. Melanie Leupolz got Chelsea back into it 10 minutes later with a goal against her former side, however, Bayern found their winner early in the second half through Hanna Glas’ brilliant curling finish as they took advantage going into the second leg.

Jens Scheuer made three changes to his Bayern Munich side that beat Turbine Potsdam 3-2 on Wednesday in the FLYERALARM Frauen-Bundesliga with Laura Benkarth, Amanda Ilestedt and Klara Buhl all coming in to replace Maria Grohs, Linda Dallmann and Lea Schuller.

Meanwhile, Emma Hayes made one change to her Chelsea side from the one that battled out a tough 2-2 draw with Manchester City on Wednesday evening. Guro Reiten came into the starting XI as Erin Cuthbert dropped to the bench.

The first opportunity of the game fell to Chelsea when Pernille Harder picked out Reiten who went for goal from 25 yards out but her left-footed effort went over the frame of Benkarth’s goal.

It was the hosts who took the lead after 12 minutes through Lohmann as she headed home following a misjudgement from Berger, who was deceived by a right-wing cross from Glas.

Hayes’ side found their equaliser through Leupolz 10 minutes later when an attempted Bayern clearance from a Reiten free-kick hit the head of the German midfielder and the ball flew over Benkarth into the back of the net. The goal against her former side gave Chelsea an all-important away goal.

Chelsea continued to look for the goal that would double their lead and they had brilliant chances in the process. Harder fired over from 12 yards out with a fierce left-footed effort before Sam Kerr was denied space in-front of goal by a last-ditch tackle from Bayern defender Marina Hegering.

The home side started the second half the strongest and took the lead 10 minutes in through Glas as she unleashed an unstoppable drive beyond Berger to give her side an advantage for the second time in the game.

Chelsea pushed on for their second equalising goal and they were denied by the crossbar with only 15 minutes left on the clock. South Korean international Ji So-yun unleashed a swerving 25-yard effort which had beaten Benkarth but Beth England couldn’t sweep up the rebound.

The two sides will contest the second leg at Kingsmeadow next Sunday as they look to secure a place in the UEFA Women’s Champions League final. The other semi-final first leg tie saw Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona play out a 1-1 draw earlier today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial