With both teams playing their penultimate game of the season before the FA Women’s Super League draws to a close on Saturday, Yeovil Town will be looking to cause an upset against Chelsea to round-off what has been a difficult season for the club.
For Emma Hayes’ Chelsea side, they will be looking to put the disappointment of just missing out on reaching the UEFA Women’s Champions League final behind them after losing to Lyon on aggregate last time out.
A relatively big crowd is expected for this game with the fixture being moved to Yeovil Town’s traditional Huish Park ground where The Lady Glovers will play for the first time in over a year.
In the last three league meetings between the two sides, Yeovil Town have failed to score and have conceded 13 goals whilst they have lost 7-0 and 8-0 to Chelsea in the FA Women’s Continental League Cup during the past two seasons. They will take confidence though in the fact that they managed to take the lead in their last game against SSE Women’s FA Cup winners Manchester City.
Chelsea will leapfrog Birmingham City into third place with victory in Somerset ahead of their trip to
Reading on the last day of the season. Already relegated Yeovil Town will simply be hoping to end the
season on a high by getting results against Chelsea on Tuesday night and Birmingham City in Dorchester on Saturday.
- Yeovil Town’s leading goalscorer in the league is Ellie Mason with three goals
- The Lady Glovers have conceded a league high 50 goals
- Yeovil Town have completed one league double with two 1-0 wins over Everton
- Chelsea have conceded the least number of goals in the FA Women’s Super League (12)
- The Blues have not lost an away game in the league this season with four wins and four draws
- Chelsea’s leading scorer in the league is Beth England with eight goals
By Jamie Farrin