LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 13: General view inside the stadium prior to the SSE Women's FA Cup Final between Birmingham City Ladies and Manchester City Women at Wembley Stadium on May 13, 2017 in London, England.

Germany gatecrash England party in-front of huge Wembley crowd

Germany have proved to be the ultimate party poopers by defeating England 2-1 in-front of a record crowd at Wembley this evening.

A total number of 77,768 spectators attended the match, a record for a women’s football match in England but they were to go home disappointed as Klara Buhl netted a late winner.

The visitors started the match on the attack and looked particularly sharp. In contrast, England took time to settle and endured a pretty torrid first half an hour under the Wembley arch.

The Lionesses’ crossbar was rattled after just three minutes when German captain Alexandra Popp was given too much time and space on the left and she thumped a shot against the bar.┬áThat moment was a sign of what was to come. Kathrin Hendrich lofted a cross into the box and Popp was there to head the ball into the top corner.

Germany immediately pushed for a second goal but they failed to call England keeper Mary Earps into anything other than routine saves despite their continuous pressure.

Following an uncomfortable half-hour, England began to venture forward. They were soon handed a golden opportunity to level matters when Beth Mead was adjudged to have been caught by German keeper Merle Frohms in the box after wriggling free of the defence to meet a delicious Ellen White pass. Nikita Parris stepped up to take the penalty kick but her shot was saved by Frohms with her outstretched leg.

The Lionesses did equalise a minute before the break when Keira Walsh curled a lovely ball over the top into the path of White who guided the ball home.

Germany had the ball in the net 18 minutes into the second half. Earps spilt an effort from distance and Lina Magull tapped in. The goal was chalked off with the player in an offside position.

Germany looked the most likely to score but they seemed to be restricted to both ambitious shots from distance and snapshots in the box which were blocked by the England defence. That was until injury time when Buhl found space on the left side of the box and rifled the ball into the bottom far corner of the net to win the match for the visitors

Phil Neville will now take his side to the Czech city of Ceske Budejovic where they will face the Czech Republic on Tuesday evening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial